Sunday, 4 March 2012

Review: Delirium and Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver


Delirium
Delirium #1
Lauren Oliver
Hodder & Stoughton
Publication date: 1st Feb 2011

 Lena is a seventeen year old girl, who is desperate to conform in a world of rules and regulations, which have  devised by authorities to "cure" humans from the ability to love or be "infected".  Despite being so keen to restore the family name after her own mother refused to be "cured," Lena faces many challenges in the shape of her best friend Hana, who herself is struggling to stick to the rules as dictated by the Book of Sssh, and a boy Alex who she quickly develops feelings for, and who rapidly jeopardises her ability to conform.

I very quickly became gripped by this book although the need to provide accurate descriptions and set the scene did frustrate me at times.  The feelings of the characters were so well developed and described that in parts the tension was almost explosive and compelled me to read on well before my bedtime curfew! I loved the whole Book of Sssh concept and how it related to the particular chapter and and its events and towards the end I was reading so fast, I could barely contain myself.

Delirium #2
Lauren Oliver
Hodder & Stoughton
Publication date: 1st March 2012

You know when you start to read a book which is a sequel, you're a little nervous that it doesn't match the first and can often be a bit of a letdown?  Well, nothing could be further from that with Pandemonium, which I simply could not put down!  The story follows Lena, the central character in the next chapter of her life. Like Delirium it's beautifully written, conveying all the required imagery and emotion, and presenting wonderful characters to unfold a story which is simply electrifying in parts.  In the final chapters I was so engrossed I was still reading at 1.30am, and once I was finished the book I was so overwhelmed I just couldn't sleep.  If you don't read another book this year - you must read this, but make sure you have loads of time because you won't want to put it down.  Fab!!!!!!!!!!! 


Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton for the opportunity to read and review Delirium and Pandemonium.

Guest reviewer Pauline lives in Glasgow with her husband and two sons. As a typical busy working mum she don't get much time to be a serious reader, and therefore hasn't a preferred genre, but instead uses reading as a way to unwind before bedtime. However having reached the ripe old age of Forty she was keen to try new types of books and was more than happy to provide some guest reviews for My keeper shelf.
Pauline and Lesley actually work together and are often found mid afternoon raiding the chocolate machine at work, having cups of tea and swearing loudly in a random manner.

1 comment:

  1. It's true about not wanting to put either of these books down. I began Pandemonium Saturday evening and finished it Sunday afternoon. It wasn't what I expected but that's ok too. All in all, they are both excellent YA novels that I would highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.