Monday, 16 April 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

10215349
The Immortal Rules
Blood of Eden #1
Julie Kagawa
Publication date: 24th April 2012
My rating: 4 out of 5

Believe it or not I’ve never read anything by Julie Kagawa, I know it’s shocking. I fully appreciate that I’m probably the only person left on the planet who hasn’t read The Iron Fey series. I have no real excuse either, I’ve just never really got round to it, so when I saw that Julie Kagawa had a new series coming out and that it had vampires in it I thought I would read it and see what I’ve been missing. I have to say she can really tell a story I ended up completely engrossed in The Immortal Rules.

Allie Sekemoto survives as an Unregistered in the Fringe, she refuses to be food for the ruling vampires but this means she has to steal and scavenge to survive. When one such hunting trip goes wrong and both Allie and her street friends are attacked by rabids Allie finds herself faced with a stark choice: die or be turned into vampire by Kanin an old and powerful vampire also living on the fringe of the vampire city. Allie basically becomes what she hates the most a blood sucking vampire.

What made The Immortal Rules completely captivating for me was the array of main characters. I will always love a kick ass chick who can wield a Katana so street urchin turned vampire Allie was always going to appeal to me. Her vampire sire Kanin also really piqued my interest, clearly not your run of the mill vamp he’s older, wiser, stronger and experienced. He sort of takes Allie under his vampire wing and pulls no punches by giving her the blunt truth about being a vampire:

You will always be a monster – there is no turning back from it. But what type of monster you become is entirely up to you.”

What I liked about Allie was that she really took this on board, she fought hard against her predatory vampire nature and became a vampire with a heart and conscience. I really liked her very humanlike type of vampire. When Allie joins Jeb’s band of humans searching for Eden (a sort of promised land, rabid free zone) it really tested her non-monsterish vampire ways and I think it made me like her even more as she became a monster turned protector. And what about the love intrest Zeke? He's the very sweet human who is Jeb’s second in command. He was just adorably good, seeing the positive in everything and everyone. I thought the little band of humans had a kind of strange religious group feel about them, they firmly believe that vampires are evil monsters and I was literally on the edge of my seat waiting for Allie’s vampire secret to come out.

I enjoyed all the action and gore in The Immortal Rules, it’s pretty brutal in parts with deaths galore and scary rabids. I loved the ending, I couldn’t tell which way it was going to go. I know for sure that I’ll be reading the next instalment I just don’t know what characters apart from Allie will be in it. Highly recommended.
 
Thanks to Net galley and Harlequin Teen for the opportunity to read and review The Immortal Rules before it’s publication date on the 24th of April.

 ya vampreview
Check out this review from Kara at Nocturnal Book Reviews. I couldn’t for the life of me think what the rabids reminded me of, Kara was spot on, it was those scary mutant things in the film I Am Legend.

8 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm so glad you liked this one.

    I have read some of the iron fey series, it was alright, but am really hopeful about this one.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one who has not read her books, but I have already marked this one on my TBR list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only person in the world who hasn't read her books, you've made me feel much better C.M!

      Delete
  3. so glad you enjoyed this one! Allie is a kickass. Great review. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Lesley!! You so need to read The Iron King now!!! Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that you haven't read the Iron Fey, after you've got over your Fifty Shades craze (:P) you have to read some Iron Fey, it's a great YA series!

    I'm currently reading this book and loving it, in 20% in and can't wait to meet Zeke after what you say! :)

    Great review Lesley :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the creativity that went into this book. It's post-apocalyptic with zombies running a-muck with a dystopian government run by vampires. Hello!?! How crazy and completely awesome is that?!? In Immortal Rules, Julie Kagawa builds yet another incredible world that is so complex and amazing, it leaves you struggling for air.

    Allie is such memorable character; she's definitely jaded by the harshness of her world, but not so much so a reader cannot connect with her (much more likable than Katniss for me). The story is deeply compelling and heart-wrenching, but is so action packed that the story never slows despite the crazy painful drama Allison goes through. My heart broke for her several times, especially in those events right before she becomes immortal. Speaking of immortal, Kanin was an intriguing puzzle of a character and I can't wait to learn more of him in the later books of this series. I was hoping for some romance between him and Allie, though Zeke is an amazingly likable guy.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.