Monday, 23 April 2012

Review: Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

12432229Struck
Jennifer Bosworth
Publication date: 8th May 2012
My rating: 2.5 out of 5

It took me a whole week to read Struck by Jennifer Bosworth, for me that is a long time to read a YA book as I usually finish them in a few hours.
Struck just didn't grab me or hold my attention instead it just plodded along.

The story of Mia Price a young girl who is addicted to lightning strikes, she herself has been struck numerous times and survived but leaves her covered in red scars. Set in a LA after a huge earthquake has destroyed the normal way of life Mia is fighting to keep her small family together. Her mother narrowly escaped death after being buried under rubble and now can barely function, her mother now spends her days watching a man called the Prophet on television a sort of cult leader with thousands of followers all dressed in white who claim that God has spoken to their leader and told him the end of the world is imminent.

Mia and her brother are forced to go back to school to receive their meagre rations but find that school has changed completely and there are now two factions vying for Mia's attention; the prophet's followers and the Seekers another spooky group with mind reading powers who want Mia and her ability to hold lightening inside her. Thrown into the mix is a good looking boy wearing Clark Kent glasses who tries to persuade Mia to stay away from both groups. Who can she trust?

Now, this is a personal thing here, I don't like scary brain washing cults they completely creep me out. So the Prophet and his followers dressed in white, as well as the 12 apostles, 7th seal and end of days religious stuff really turned me off. As my mind started to wander away from the actual story I found myself wondering how the followers keep their clothes white when there's been an earthquake (which is not a good sign is it?). Anyway, Struck just wasn't my kind of thing.

Thanks to Net galley and Macmillan Children's publishing group for the opportunity to read and review Struck.

ya review

4 comments:

  1. Have had a netgalley copy of this book for over a month now and I still haven't started it. How did I not realize this was about a religious cult? Hmmm now I'm not really wanting to read it. Thanks for bringing that to light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's a shame you didn't enjoy this! I actually loved the whole creepy cult thing, even though I'm not a fan of religion in fiction. Good review though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, you're the second person I trust who has given this book a less than stellar review. I'm not sure I will look at it any more as there are enough other books I haven't read with better reviews! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer...this is on my wishlist, i guess its gonna be one of those books people either hate or love...i am glad you explained why you didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.