Monday, 7 May 2012

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

13480671Insurgent
Divergent #2
Veronica Roth
Publication date: 1st May 2012
My rating: 5 out of 5

Probably my most anticipated book of 2012 Insurgent delivers in absolute spades. Seriously tense and completely exhilarating from the word go Insurgent's intelligent, rich and inventive plot is like no other Young Adult book out there.

Tris who joined Dauntless to be free finds herself slap bang in the middle of an impending faction war. Evil Jeanne's scary mind control over fellow Dauntless faction members means that the divergent Tris and Tobias are being hunted down and must seek refuge and assistance from not only the other factions but from the factionless also.

Whilst I did swoon over Tobias (his hero-ish protective vibe and leader in waiting status makes me melt into a puddle of goo) I also loved to see his more vulnerable side as he faces the painful skeleton's in his family closet. However, I thought Insurgent was really about Tris. With no time or space to grieve for her parents whilst on the run she seems to also be suffering from what felt like a form of post traumatic stress syndrome caused by the guilt she feels over the death of her friend Will. Her relationship with Tobias is really put to the test as she tries to keep her part in Will's death from Tobias fearing his reaction. Seeing that vulnerable and ultimately more realistic side to Tris made me love her all the more.

Tris's divergent nature shines through all of Insurgent. In her search for the truth Tris is brave, daring, clever and resourceful. She strategises and can read people and situations like an army general. I loved her to bits.

Insurgent felt a little bit darker than Divergent, they're no longer kids jumping of trains and roofs for kicks. Life is both brutal and violent for Tris and Four as family loyalties and faction loyalties are tested to the limit.

One little thing, I'm really glad I re-read Divergent the day before starting Insurgent. I needed to remind myself who everyone was, Insurgent literally begins where Divergent left off so there's no recap for the reader.

Overall, Insurgent was beyond clever, it was explosive and utterly epic Roth has pulled off the most amazing feat. I remember thinking that Divergent lived up to all the hype and then some, but for Roth to do it all over again with Insurgent is nothing short of genius. Pure genius. I cannot wait for the next instalment.

Thanks to Harper Collins for the opportunity to read and review Insurgent.

fave ya review

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Insurgent is a bit darker. Great review, Lesley! I'm looking forward to reading this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I have been waiting for this review from you,, so when I saw it on my side bar I was on it like white on rice! I am so excited about this, I have it sitting on my kindle!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.