Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Review: Coveted by Shawntelle Madison

12330365
Coveted
Coveted #1
Shawntelle Madison
Publication date: 24th April 2012

What I really liked about Coveted was that the main character Natalya Stravinsky is not like the usual heroines from werewolf books. Let’s face it they are either the strong kick ass chicks or the lucky girl who has caught the eye of the alpha male or mate. Nat is completely different and I quite liked that.

Nat is broken, as her relationship with Thorn (the alpha’s son) ended Nat left her New York life behind and moved back home to South Toms River, spending her days watching the shopping channel with her grandmother. This sees the start of Nat’s obsessive-compulsive disorder, she buys and hoards tonnes and I mean tonnes of holiday decorations (think Christmas tat) to the point she has hundreds of boxes all over her house. Nat is also obsessed with cleanliness, wears identical type outfits every single day and had a panic attack at a pack event. As a result Nat finds herself shunned from the pack and without their protection Nat is in a very vulnerable position.

When Thorn returns to town he finds Nat excluded from the pack being treated as a bit of an outcast in her own family and being targeted and threatened by the Long Island pack. Although Thorn is strictly off limits as he’s promised to another awful werewolf chick, there is still something burning between Nat and Thorn.

I really enjoyed Coveted, it’s got a bit of romance, pack dynamics, action and best of all is Nat’s therapy group that she joins to try to deal with the OCD behaviour. In her group is a mermaid frightened of the ocean, and invisible Muse, a succubus who can’t get a date and the very intriguing white wizard Nick who I thought had loads of potential- a future love interest maybe?
I did think it took a looooong time for anyone to really ask why Nat was being targeted by the Long Island wolves, is it that she is the weakest link and therefore easy prey or is it something else?

Overall, I thought Coveted was quirky and engaging, I’ll be looking out for the sequel Kept in November. Great start to a promising new series.

Thanks to Net Galley and Random House Publishing Group for the opportunity to read and review Coveted.



I found the UK cover whilst on Goodreads, I think I prefer the US cover for Coveted and I really like the cover for the sequel Kept, I'm thinking we'll see more of Nick yay!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds quite interesting - I like different heroines and I can't remember one with OCD before. As long as the only thing she needs to overcome it isn't a guy, I would be interested!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.