Friday, 24 August 2012

I think I'm addicted to sports romances


My current not so guilty pleasure is reading sports romances. I love them. A lot. I'd read quite a few of them before it actually dawned on me that "sports romances" were a well known category of books (seriously how thick am I?) So I thought I would share with you some of my favourites so far.

In my extensive (In that I've read a few of them and have a special shelf on Goodreads and everything) sports romance research I've found that there's a few necessary elements:

  • Gorgeous covers with lots of naked man chest is essential. Usually we don't get to see the face of the naked man the focus is definitely on the body which results in me shouting "holy mother of abs" and running to add the book to my to be read list. The model Jed Hill seems to be a favourite cover model for sports romances.
  • The hero is usually famous and rich, playing at the very top of his game with many female admirers (he will of course only have eyes for his heroine).
  • The hero is usually a very alpha male type- confident, stubborn, in control, charming and sometimes a little bit predatory.
  • Sports romances tend to be part of a series as the alpha male sports star is surrounded by team mates/brothers who are equally alpha male and in need of the love of a good woman. Most of the sports romances I've loved always have the start of the next guy's story which of course gets me adding the next book to my TBR list .
  • The path of true sports romance love never runs smooth. Heroes have to contend with injury (rotator cuff springs to mind- I have no clue what is is though, arm maybe??), media scandal, difficult upbringings, unplanned pregnancy and unrequited love.
  • Most of the sports romances I've read are very U.S sports orientated but I've found that you don't actually need to know anything about the sport to enjoy the story. Just skip over those bits and get to the hook ups, that's what I do:)
  • Feisty heroines always get their man.

For me, the queen of sports romances is Jaci Burton her Play by Play series is my all time favourite and the covers aren't too bad either *grins*


I also loved Jill Shalvis's Pacific Heat series, I really hope she writes more.
Time Out was swoon-tastically good and is one of my favourite books of 2012.

I've read the first two books in Rachel Gibson's Chinooks Hockey Team series, both were pretty good.

In the Young Adult corner I really enjoyed Catching Jordon as the heroine is also a sports star which made a refreshing change. Shut Out by Kody Keplinger is a pretty funny girls vs boys battle of the sexes/hook up strike. 
I've even reviewed some sports romances as part of my "After Fifty" series of reviews as they have been full of smokin' hotness. Wicked Game by Mercy Celeste had me swooning and laughing especially at the live on TV phone calls. I never thought I would enjoy a book about cycling until I read Ride With Me by Ruthie Knox and Seducing Cinderella by Gina L. Maxwell is a recent favourite, Reid Andrews the mixed martial arts fighter is now up there as one of my favourite book boyfriends (a high accolade indeed).


I have a couple more sports romances on my current to be read list:

I just started Flat-Out Sexy by Erin McCarthy as I've heard great things about the Fast Track series, I really want to get my hands on Defying the Odds by Kele Moon which is the first book in her Battered Hearts series and I have Line of Scrimmage by Marie Force sitting on my bookshelf just waiting for me to pick it up.

If you've any other sports romance recommendations let me know as I'm always on the lookout for new books to add to my ever growing TBR list.

11 comments:

  1. Me too at the moment Lesley and its all down to the books you keep pointing out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Lindsey! I keep ditching my review books to read Sports romances! I can't stop!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love a good sports romance even though I don't have a clue about sports in real life :) Burton, Shalvis and Gibson are favorites here too. I really liked McCarthy's Fast Track series. They get better as they go along too :) I've got Ruthie Knox on my TBR list will have to move that one up the list!

    Have you tried Lori Foster's SBC Fighters? Kind of a mixed martial arts thing. Those were my first sportish books. Ooo and a couple of Shelly Laurenston's Pride series books are hockey related and excellent. They aren't too sporty though. (Beast Behaving Badly, The Mane Squeeze)

    Great post :)
    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Flat Out Sexy by Erin McCarthy I liked it a lot so I might have a go at the second in the series. I completely forgot about Shelly Laurenston's Pride series, I love her books too. I think I've read more Sports Romances than I previously thought!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I don't read them a lot, but I love them :)
    I've wanted to try Play by Play series, but still haven't, hopefully I will soon :) From all of these I've read only Time Out & Shut Out. And some I've seen of the rest, some haven't, but I'll definitely try some of them :)
    My fav sports series is Deirdre Martin's New York Blades series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've only read the most recent Deirdre Martin Breakaway, I've got a lo of catching up to do.

      Delete
  4. I love sports romance too! I love Rachel Gibson's series. I just got the first two Jacie Burton books. Can't wait to read them Mercy Celeste is good too. If you haven't read Toni Aleo's Assassins Series, you should check it out. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding that series to my TBR list now:)

      Delete
  5. I love sports romances too! I'm glad to see you mention Rachel Gibson's hockey books because they are some of my favorites. I also love Susan Elizabeth Phillips's Chicago Stars series with its sexy football players. Great list...I'll be adding some of these to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about Susan Elizabeth's Chicago Stars series I really enjoyed Match Me If You Can. Good shout Jennifer!

      Delete
  6. Hey. I'm addicted to sports romances as well. Try Richmond Rogues Series by Kate Angell. Worth your time. One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.