Thursday, 11 October 2012

After Fifty review: Giving It Up by Amber Lin

giving it up
Giving It Up
Amber Lin
Publication date: 18th June 2012
Reviewed by Kristi
 
For me, reading is very personal. Of course, we share the books we love and maybe a few we didn't enjoy! but I love when a book take me places that I have never been and helps me to get a better understanding of certain situations. Giving It Up was one such book, it was a fantastic, very dark and very emotional read. I initially thought I would be reading a typical romance/erotic novel but, this book is so much more! Yes there is romance and some definite sexy times, but there is also mystery, suspense, and crime. There is really a little bit of something for everyone.

We learn early in the story that Allie is a rape survivor. As a result of that incident Allie punishes herself by seeking out sex with random men. However, there's no romance here, she wants purely rough sex. Giving It Up did an excellent job of making me understand why Allie behaved this way, it was so raw and emotional to read those scenes, but they were so well done.

During one of Allie's prowling nights she meets Colin. He very quickly becomes our dark silent hero. The thing I enjoyed most about Colin was that he was not your perfect knight in shining armor, he has his own issues. There are moments that Allie and Colin seem to be a perfect match together he understands her and naturally wants to protect her however, Colin has his own past demons and sometimes gets involved with some not so great activities with his family.

Honestly, there is so much more to this book but I really don't want to let any spoilers slip by for anyone. I really would recommend this book to everyone. I hope that Amber Lin will continue and write more about this characters as I would love for this to be a series!

after fifty
After Fifty rating: 4 out of 5
A dark and silent hero Thumbs up
Protective vibe Thumbs up
Sexy times Thumbs up

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.