Monday, 15 October 2012

Review: Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Poison Princess
The Arcana Chronicles #1
Kresley Cole
Publication date: 2nd October 2012
Reviewed by Lesley

Kresley Cole's Poison Princess is amazingly good and has definitely taken a place in my "favourites of 2012" list. Although I have every book in Cole's Immortals After Dark and MacCarrick brothers series on my bookshelf there was probably a teensey little bit of me, if I'm honest, wondering if I would love YA Kresley Cole as much as I've loved Paranormal Romance/Historical Romance Kresley Cole. Seriously? I don't know why I even doubted her for a second as YA Kresley Cole is just as amazing and imaginative. Poison Princess provides what I think Kresley Cole does best- weave intricate and cleverly crafted stories seamlessly together as well as perfectly setting up for the rest of the series.

Cleverly running throughout Poison Princess is our heroine Evie's retelling of her story to a creepy psycho killer Arthur from her initial hallucinations which have her mother committing her to a mental institution in shame, to her realisation that these terrifying hallucinations are actually visions of the world's post-apocalyptic future. As Evie recounts her turning to local bad boy and fellow survivor Jack Deveaux to protect her in her quest to reach her Grandmother it becomes apparent that Evie is no normal teenager. I really had no idea how Evie's story and creepy psycho killer Arthur's story would all tie in but Kresley Cole's masterful and twisty plot turns have left me desperate for more.

Cole's world building was absolutely outstanding throughout and her post-flash apocalyptic world had my imagination running overtime. In my head I was initially picturing a darker and creepier Gone With The Wind style plantation with Evie as a kind of Scarlet O'Hara with untapped supernatural powers and Jack as a swoon worthy Rhett Butler. Their Scarlet and Rhett love-hate relationship was a complete page turner.

Cole's seriously clever intertwining of the Tarot cards and the idea of an ancient prophecy with twenty two teenagers possessing special supernatural powers relating to their tarot cards confirmed to me that the Poison Princess is the start of what undoubtedly will be an imaginative, unique and must-read series for adults and teens alike.


Thanks to Simon and Schuster UK for the opportunity to read and review The Poison Princess.

7 comments:

  1. Great review Lesley! I have been seeing this book everywhere and now I can't wait to read it! X)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darker and Creepier Gone With The Wind? If I wasn't dying to read this book already, I would have been sold right there and then, Lesley! Awesome review! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to read this! I need to get a copy right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an awesome book. Great review! I like the Gone With the Wind comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just checked this out from the library and can't wait to start reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I begin to think I really need two copies of this book. It is that good. *sigh* I want to read it again. I haven't come across another book to compare since I read it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.