Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Review: Lullaby by Amanda Hocking

lullabyLullaby
Watersong #2
Amanda Hocking
Publication date: 27th November 2012
Reviewed by Rebecca

After such a rave review of Wake, I went into Lullaby with high expectations and although some of them were met, a lot fell short. Having skipped town with the strange girls from Wake, the story shifts between Gemma's viewpoint and Harper's, frantic with worry about her baby sister. I was disappointed to see so little of Alex in this novel but I also felt that the story focused on Gemma a little too much. Yes, the main bulk of the story is centred around her situation - however, some scenes with the girls seemed to happen over and over again over the course of the novel. I was much more interested in Harper's actions to get her sister back.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy this book. I did. I loved that Harper and Daniel's story was given a bigger focus in this novel, as I felt Gemma and Alex held most of the attention throughout the first. Daniel was such a likeable character and I felt frustrated when Harper didn't always pick up on the signals he was giving off.

Whilst I didn't like this book as much as the first in the series, I did enjoy watching Harper attempt to get her sister back whilst simultaneously trying to look after her Dad, keep an eye on Alex, visit Daniel and work all at the same time. Harper as a character, although brisk and sometimes snappy, is ultimately very likeable - she has a sensible head on her shoulders and knows that practicality is the way forward even if certain things aren't what they seem.

The showdown at the end between everyone is fantastic - definitely kept me on the edge of my seat and paves the way easily for the third and final book of the series. If only the rest of the book could have kept me as interested.

I will be picking up a copy of the third book when it comes out as I am interested to see how this story ends, however I feel this story could have been developed a little more, especially after the explosive action of the first book.

3 out of 5
 

1 comment:

  1. You know, I've not read an of Amanda Hocking's book but I feel like I should. Sorry this wasn't as great as the first book - hopefully the third one will complete the trilogy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.