Monday, 4 February 2013

Review: Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

 
Mystic City
Mystic City #1
Theo Lawrence
Publication date: 9th October 2012
Reviewed by Rebecca

Mystic City tells a tale much like other stories of the same genre. A rich versus poor divide, a forbidden boy and girl relationship, oppression in some shape or form. However, this book doesn't bow down to all the preconceptions I had.

Set in Manhattan aka Mystic City, you can find the Aeries where the rich people reside or the Depths, where the poor people live. Aria Rose wakes up from what she is told was an SIC overdose, unable to remember anything that happened before. She is told she is madly in love with Thomas, a fellow Aeries, but from a family with whom her family have had a bitter rivalry for generations. She is told that since they were found to be sneaking around together, it seemed like the right thing to do for these two powerhouse families to finally put their differences aside for the sake of their children and their city. But Aria doesn't truly believe all that she has been told and soon finds lies and deception that she never thought possible.

Mystics have been outlawed from the Aeries and the Depths and each one is routinely cleansed of their energy annually. However, there are some that have refused to be cleansed and burrow deep within the Depths, slowly planning an uprising of the highest kind. Not surprisingly, Aria's father will do anything to quash any uprisings and Aria sees first hand just how far he is willing to go to get his own way.

Seeing her father for what he really is, Aria asks herself plenty of questions. Why would she and Thomas have been sneaking around in the Depths if they were both Aeries? Why would she have overdosed on SIC (mystic energy) when she had never ever touched it before? She also finds herself wondering just what Hunter, a boy from the Depths, has to do with this whole mess.

I will tell you now, there is a slight spoiler right at the beginning of the book so you do find yourself knowing some of the answers to Aria's questions long before she does. I loved Aria as a character, I found her to be ballsy and confident but not stuck up like plenty of her high society friends in the Aeries. I liked the fact that she was willing to risk her own safety down in the Depths to get answers to her questions and that she was willing to risk her fathers wrath by going against his every word.

I only liked a handful of the characters apart from Aria: Davida was a fantastic addition as a character, working away in the background until she truly comes into her own; Hunter was just WOW. I can't tell you how long its been since I loved a fictional male character like I loved Hunter! I also liked Turk, he seemed like quite a cheeky character and I'd have liked to see more of him.

When it came to the other characters however, I found the rest of them completely odious; whether they were good or bad. Obviously, it is a sign of a good book if I detest the villainous characters- however, I found myself thoroughly disliking some that were meant to be good.

Mystic City was the first book I read in 2013; having picked it up before Christmas and giving up due to hectic work schedules. I loved the story but found the ending a little underwhelming. I can see how it paves the way for the next book in the trilogy - however, I feel a little cheated after immersing myself in the story as much as I did.

3.5 out of 5.




1 comment:

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.