Thursday, 4 April 2013

Review: Night Blade by J.C. Daniels

Night Blade
Colbana Files #2
J.C. Daniels
Publication date: 4th March 2013
Reviewed by Lesley

Nothing could have prepared me for the devastating heart break of Night Blade by J.C. Daniels. Nothing at all. I stayed up to 1am reading it and was still thinking about it at 3am, I couldn't get the ending out of mind and I'm not ashamed to say I shed more than a few tears on Kit's behalf. Night Blade will tear you apart.

It's the kind of book that you don't want to ruin for others so I'm going to keep this brief and spoiler free. At the end of Blade Song we left Kit and Damon together as a couple, I really hoped that Kit would have a tiny chance of a little happiness with the slightly possessive cat alpha Damon, if anyone deserves happiness it's Kit after a childhood full of pain and torture by her sadistic grandmother and aunts. Whilst Damon is busy with his alpha duties clearing out all the bad, mad and dangerous to know Cats, Kit carries on with her PI firm but with Damon's marks on her wrist Kit's life doesn't exactly go back to normal.

Kit's ex boyfriend Justin, a powerful witch and Banner cop, comes to Kit with a job she must take. Banner units are a bit like exterminators for non-human's, they eliminate non-human's deemed too deadly to live. Only this time it's Damon who is next on their list. Five Assembly members have turned up dead in the last two months and Banner have been sent in to investigate if Damon is bumping off Assembly members to manoeuvre himself into a position of power. Justin needs Kit to investigate and find proof to give to his superiors that Damon had a reason to kill the Assembly members. If no reason is found then Damon will be exterminated.

By placing a spell on Kit Justin ensures that Kit can not discuss the investigation with anyone. So, not only is Kit working with an ex-boyfriend she's in a race against time to investigate Damon's connections to the dead Assembly members without her possessive cat alpha boyfriend finding out.

The action is fast paced and fantastic, I read up to about 70% really quickly and could not put it down. I loved Doyle to bits, I worried for Kit and for Damon as Kit carried out the investigation and I cried when I realised why Damon took certain actions. Nothing and I mean nothing could have prepared me for the anguish of the last 30% of the book. My heart broke for Kit and broke again for Damon (even though he was a complete arse and treated Kit badly). It was agonisingly good and although I don't know where the story goes from here I do know that I will be reading the next instalment the very day it comes out. For all Urban Fantasy fans out this series is an absolute must read. 5 out of 5.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good - I can't wait to get my hands on this book as I really enjoyed the first one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really really need to try this series I hear so many great things about it! It sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the first book in the series. Looking forward to reading this, even if it's that emotional, I'm a glutton for punishment...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, alright... I'm definitely reading book #1 soon! Seems like it's an excellent series!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.