Monday, 19 August 2013

Review: Perfect Fling by Carly Phillips

perfect flingPerfect Fling
Serendipity’s Finest #2
Carly Phillips
Publisher: Berkley Books
Publication date: 30th July 2013

Perfect Fling is actually my first Carly Phillips book, I know where have I been? She's writes amazing contemporary romance and I love reading amazing contemporary romance so why she's never been on my radar I have no idea, but after devouring Perfect Fling I think I'm going to have a blast catching up with her back catalogue.

Assistant D.A. Erin Marsden is a sensible, smart, good girl but after watching all the loving couples at a wedding she heads to the bar looking for a little company for the night and comes across Cole Sanders. Cole was the town's resident bad boy after dropping out of the police academy before graduation he left town and surfaces only occasionally. After a drink or two Erin and Cole have a one night stand and low and behold three months later Erin not only finds out that's she's pregnant but that she has also become the target for some sort of crazy stalker. So when Cole finds out Erin is in danger the father to be steps in to protect her.

Ahhh Cole *le sigh* what can I say? What a guy! He's not the deadbeat drop out that everyone thinks he is and is actually an undercover cop in Manhattan often under deep cover for a year at a time. It drove me slightly crazy that Cole never corrected people about their lowly opinions of him. I got that it kind of suited him in that it stopped the nosey locals from asking questions about him but I honestly wanted to scream out loud on his behalf! I especially wanted to put his father straight especially since he had been outright cruel and nasty towards his son pretty much since childhood and as a result Cole just didn't think that he actually deserved a decent and nice woman like Erin in his life. After leading such a solitary life when Erin does come into Cole's life she's like a breath of fresh air to him that he didn't even realise he even needed.

I loved Erin's character too, she really sees something in Cole that no one else ever has and I loved her for it. Forced together whilst Erin's stalker is on the loose Cole steps in as the protector (getting more book boyfriend points from me- and he even cooks for her!) and they inevitably end up in bed together. Cole is however, honest with Erin telling her that he can't and won't commit to her so its up to the very determined Erin to change his mind.

I often find a lot of the current contemporary romance books are just too short for me, not so Perfect Fling. That extra length allowed both the story of the stalker to unfold and for Cole and Erin's initially forced relationship to change and grow. All in all Perfect Fling left me feeling a lot more satisfied as a reader and now I have the added bonus of discovering a whole Carly Philips back catalogue of books to devour, I might just be in contemporary romance heaven. 5 out of 5.

CARLY PHILLIPS ONLINE:
Website Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads

BUY THE BOOK:
Amazon US  |  Amazon UK  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Kobo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Lesley. I've not heard of this author before but if you are giving 5* she must be good. Shame about the cover though that is really quite bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really like her books but it's been ages since I've read one. Glad you enjoyed it so much :) I love when an author gets me so involved and loving a character like that that I want to fight for them.

    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.