Thursday, 19 September 2013

Review: The Story Guy by Mary Ann Rivers

the story guyThe Story Guy
Mary Ann Rivers
Publisher: Random House Loveswept
Publication date: 8th July 2013

Who would have known that a 120 page novella could be so heart breakingly good? I'm not even sure if I would have picked up Mary Ann Rivers debut if I hadn't read Ruthie Knox's recommendation so I'm beyond glad I followed her advice because The Story Guy is pretty special.

Intrigued by a personal ad on the Metrolink that promises kissing only on a Wednesday lunchtime in the park, no dating or hookup and no touching below the shoulders librarian Carrie responds to Brian's advert. Despite her cosy life Carrie wants something more substantial but all Brian can offer is literally just kissing in a park on a Wednesday lunchtime. With a complicated "second shift thing" in his life Brian genuinely has no time room in his life for a relationship despite their intense first Wednesday meeting.

There were so many things that really grabbed me about this novella. Firstly, it's beautifully written almost spellbindingly so, and I found myself racing through it desperate to know why this beautiful and amazing man could only commit to lunchtime kissing when it's obvious that he wants so much more. It's only by reading the book a second time that I really appreciated just how emotional and poignant this story really is. My heart broke for Brian and his lonely life, for the burden he choose to bear, the patience, care and love he showed and then how conflicted he felt about it. I could almost feel how tired and worn down he was and how desperately he wanted Carrie in his life despite everything else he had to deal with. The slow build up between Brian and Carrie was agonisingly good, and the resulting anticipation was perfectly written I really can see myself reading it again and again.

The Story Guy is definitely one of the most amazingly sexy and emotional debuts I think I've ever read, trust me you NEED to read it.

MARY ANN RIVERS ONLINE:
Website  |  Twitter  |  Goodreads

BUY THE BOOK:
Amazon US  |  Amazon UK  |  Barnes & Noble 

4 comments:

  1. I loved this one. It really is so beautifully written. And the slow buildup is epic! So happy you loved it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We clearly have similar excellent taste Angiegirl!

      Delete
  2. Oh boy- you have me VERY curious about this one. SO much so that I am looking it up on my KOBO as I comment- and I bought it. I am very anxious to read this one now. Thanks for putting this one on my radar. I could use a wonderful read.

    ~Sara @ Just Another Story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love it when a fellow reader picks up a book after I've gushed about it, it is absolutely a wonderful read and I hope you enjoy it Sara.

      Delete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.