Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Review: Cold Blooded by Amanda Carlson

cold bloodedCold Blooded
Jessica McClain #3
Amanda Carlson
Publisher: Orbit
Publication date: 8th October 2013

The Jessica McClain series has been a favourite of mine since Full Blooded arrived in September 2012, it's the urban fantasy series if you like full on action packed tension with alpha wolves, witches and vamps added into the mix. Cold Blooded, the newest instalment out today proudly carries on that tradition of action galore which again had me gnawing my fingernails to the bone.

My main request after devouring Hot Blooded was that I wanted more "quality" Rourke and Jessica time. Cold Blooded absolutely delivers this. And it is scorching HAWT! Rourke really grew on me during Hot Blooded and I can safely say I'm in full blown love with him now. He has some of the best lines in Cold Blooded:

"He lowered his mouth against my ear and rasped, "I haven't denied myself anything in a thousand years. Resisting you is taking every ounce of everything I've got. My beast is clawing me from the inside out, fighting to make this official. All I can think about is throwing you down on the grass and taking you from every angle I possibly can. Repeatedly"

*Gulp* see what I mean? His absolute love for Jessica shines through everything he does in Cold Blooded, his need to bond with Jessica coupled with that protective mate thing he had going on was so deliciously good:

"Rourke broke the kiss and hovered over me anxiously, his eyes filled with the same longing as mine. "I haven't cared about another living soul in longer than I can remember. I want this to be exactly right."

Since the first instalment Full Blooded was released I've been desperately wanting to find out exactly what kind of shifter Rourke actually is. It's been hinted previously that Rourke is very, very old and close to godhood which Jessica explains is the ultimate mix of power and immortality for a supernatural creature. We finally find out exactly what Rourke is, and I loved it, I might have had to google it, but I loved it! He's clearly very different from the normal run of the mill shifter but it works because Jessica is no ordinary wolf shifter either. So bonus points for originality there!

I've come to expect a tonne of fast paced action from this series and Cold Blooded delivers this in spades to the point I actually felt quite tense reading it! Not only is Jessica still figuring out her "old soul" wolf and untapped powers, she has to deal with the threat of sorcerers working with demons who want to steal her life force and a hostile vampire queen who's protection she needs. Thank goodness for helpful ghosts, witches with spelled AK-47s and her beloved pack because Jessica is as always really up against it throughout.

It's a given that I'll be reading Jessica McClain #4 Red Blooded when it's released in 2014 as I absolutely love this series. Cold Blooded's cliff hanger-ish ending means further adventures and rescue missions for Jessica and her allies. I really can't wait to see more of Ray the ex-human cop and ex-pain in Jessica's ass, his job title has changed dramatically and has left me very intrigued and I'm also on the lookout for some other wolf romances in Jessica's pack. Honestly, I cannot wait. 5 out of 5.

AMANDA CARLSON ONLINE:
Website  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads

BUY THE BOOK:
Amazon US  |  Amazon UK  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Kobo

SERIES READING ORDER:
Full Blooded
Hot Blooded
Cold Blooded

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.