Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Review: Striking Distance by Pamela Clare

15704285Striking Distance
I Team #6
Pamela Clare
Publisher: Berkley Sensation
Publication date: 5th November 2013

I need to catch up with this series and fast! I'm loving all the amazing romantic suspense books out right now, I seem to be addicted to badass commando's and special ops heroes and Pamela Clare's I-Team series comes highly recommended.

Reporter Laura Nilsson was kidnapped and her news crew killed live on air whilst live on air 18 months ago thought to be dead Laura has been held hostage, beaten raped and practically brain washed and can barely remember her own name. Javier Corbray is a Navy Seal, he helplessly watched Laura's kidnap live on television, he's had an active interest in her story after recently saving her from a couple of drunken idiots in Dubai City which led to a weekend of no strings sex with her that he hasn't been able to forget. Like the rest of the public Javier believes her to be dead but during a raid on a terrorist compound Laura manages to plead for help and it's Javier who rescues her and takes her back to the US. Laura has no idea that it's Javier who is her rescuer, with his face blacked up and combat gear on all she knows is that it was a Navy Seal who saved her life.

Two years later Laura gets her day in court to face her kidnapper again. She's a different woman entirely from the woman Javier met in Dubai and from the terrified victim held by Al Qaeda, rebuilding her life Laura is determined to show her kidnapper that he hasn't beaten her. When her kidnapper is sentenced he calls upon his followers to find her an kill her putting her in terrible danger again so it's up to her Navy Seal Javier and the I-Team to protect her again.

Striking Distance had absolutely everything in it- suspense, tension, romance and heart ache, Laura's story felt 100% realistic to me it was so well done. Her terror and fear doesn't end when she is rescued from the compound but she is a survivor, she's strong and determined and although she's initially reluctant to start a relationship when she meets Javier again she turns to him when her life is put in danger. Javier is the absolutely most perfect hero ever. He's protective and completely supportive, understanding that Laura's terrifying ordeal may never really be over. Their journey together was heartbreakingly good and the subject matter of rape and it's aftermath was handled amazingly well by Clare. I couldn't put Striking Distance down and read it in one sitting.

Striking Distance is an emotional and powerful read that drew me in from the word go. Pamela Clare has got herself a new fan, I'm really looking forward to catching up on this series it seems like I've been missing out!

PAMELA CLARE ONLINE:
Website  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads

BUY THE BOOK:
Amazon US  |  Amazon UK  |  Barnes & Noble

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I love Pamela Clare's books and the whole I-team series but I'm hesitant to read this one b/c of the kidnapping/rape time period. I get really anxious reading these kind of story lines. Do you think I'll still enjoy this one? Or, should I skip it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica, I thought it was handled really well, very thoughtful and considerate so I wouldn't worry about getting anxious at all. I really enjoyed it, I'm sure you would too.

      Delete

I love getting comments so thanks for taking the time to leave one.